Deer Burger Recipes | The Hunter Burger
Featuring fried potatoes & ground venison
Prep: 20 Minutes | Cook: 25 Minutes | Level: Easy | Yields: 4 burgers
Summer is right around the corner. Those long, hot days can really work up and appetite for a juicy grilled burger. Though it’s about to be grilling season we can’t forget about our not so distant future…hunting season. What better way than to reminisce about those days in the stand and emptying your freezer than with a hunters very own meat and potato inspired burger. Introducing The Hunter a venison burger recipe. This is for anyone with love for venison and potatoes. Combining both in between two buns will result in the perfect meat and potato meal.
1 lb. ground venison
8 slices of bacon (save grease for later in recipe)
5 medium potatoes (Russet potatoes are used in this recipe)
8 oz. jar of sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion sliced
Sliced Pepper Jack cheese
4 hamburger buns
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
Salt & pepper to season meat & potatoes (use desired amount)
Desired sauces/ condiments
- Prepare fried potatoes by washing and peeling. The style of cut used for these potatoes is a julienne. This particular cut results in long thin strips of potato. About 1/4 inch thick slices. Set off to side.
- Cut onion in slices to be caramelized, and mix with mushrooms. Remember when slicing the onion that it will shrink as it cooks, so long slices are fine. Set off to side once combined in bowel.
- Cook bacon on medium-high heat in skillet until desired crispness. Once bacon is cooked, place on plate off to the side. Save bacon grease left in the bottom of the skillet by putting into a bowl and into the refrigerator to cool down to use later in the recipe.
- To caramelize your onion and mushroom mix add 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Cook on medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- While caramelizing the onions and mushrooms, begin the pan fried potatoes. Add 1 tablespoon oil to a skillet. Cook potatoes until fried to your desired texture. The potatoes will be golden brown.
- To assemble the venison patties place the ground venison in a bowl and add the bacon grease that was saved from the bacon that has been cooling in the refrigerator. Mix the grease into the meat gently. Begin forming patties. Once patties are formed, place a concaved indention to the very center of the venison patty. This indention will allow the patties to cook evenly. Sprinkle desired amount of salt and pepper on the patties, the patties are ready to cook.
- To cook the venison patties you can either grill them or cook them in a skillet over the stove top. For the grill or skillet on stove top: heat grill to medium- high heat. Grill the patties until brown and slightly charred on the first side, this takes approximately 3 minutes. Flip the patties over and cook until browned and slightly charred on the second side.
- Once all ingredients are fried, caramelized, and cooked you can begin assembling the burger. The layout of The Hunter burger as pictured above is:
Slice of Pepper Jack cheese (melted)
Caramelized onions & mushrooms
Two Bacon strips
Try this Venison Burger recipe alongside other Bone Collector recipes below.