Venison Recipes | Super Bowl Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer
Kick off your Super Bowl game day with these perfect bite-sized venison stuffed mushrooms. You’re sure to earn a win from your game day party crowd with this savory appetizer.
Prep: 40 Minutes| Cook: 12 Minutes| Level: Easy| Serves: 25
1 cup cooked ground venison
1 whole Sweet onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup smoked Mozzarella cheese (Provolone Cheese)
2 tablespoons butter
25 whole white mushrooms
1 teaspoon salt
Optional sprigs of Thyme (used as decorative topper as seen in photo)
- Wash each mushroom. Remove each stem by twisting and popping the stem out or use a small spoon to scrap the stem out.
- Slice sweet onion into large slices, about ¼ inches thick. Brush each slice with olive oil, then season with salt. Cook directly in a skillet or on a grill top. Turn every 2-3 minutes for about 10 minutes or until the onion becomes softened.
- In a food processor add the cooked venison meat, cooked onion and garlic powder. Pulse ingredients together for 5-10 seconds. Remove from processor and put mix into a bowl. Add both Mozzarella cheeses to the meat mixture. Gently stir together and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms top side down, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Flip all mushrooms over and cook top side up for another minute. Mushrooms will turn light brown and will be softened. Remove mushrooms delicately and place top side down on a cookie sheet.
- Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon, or your desired amount, of the venison stuffing into each mushroom cap. Bake mushrooms in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cheese will be melted when done. Remove from oven, and Enjoy!
To add some spice to this delicious appetizer add half of a jalapeño to the stuffing mix.
For some added color to the stuffing add your favorite bell pepper to the stuffing mix.
To add decorative Thyme to tops of mushrooms, cute small sprigs to place on each mushroom.
Preparing for a party? Stuff, cover and refrigerate the mushrooms up to 24 hours ahead of time. Then when you are ready for hot appetizers simply put mushrooms in the oven as stated above in step 5.